Juggling sobriety, family, career and household can be overwhelming, at times. Therefore when this happens we can start feeling very depleted, frayed at the edges. Dare I say, run ragged even.
Your mental health is one of the most important parts of your sobriety. Here are 5 Tips I have used when feeling stressed and plain old run down.
5 TIPS WHEN LIFE GETS YOU DOWN:
- Eat, many including myself under stress don’t eat enough, skip meals completely. Which in turn can lead to more stress on our bodies and mind, or reach for sugary snacks, instead of a healthy meal. Eat something healthy and regularly.
- Next main priority is not numbing out with alcohol, set your intention, no matter how stressed you are it won’t help. My mantra is: life may be hard right now, but wine will make it harder.
- Cry, yes release those pent-up emotions, crying does help. Not a cryer, cut up an onion, or watch a sad movie.
- Stop with all the self help & personal development. No, not for good but give yourself a break for a day or two. I truly believe we can overload on thinking we are broken. Read a book for enjoyment, watch a fun movie, hang out with friends or family, take a social media break.
- Do ONE task you’ve been putting off, this will give you a sense of accomplishment. Mow the lawn, take stuff to Goodwill, call your mom or that friend back.
Take good care of yourself for a few days, allow your feelings to be present, and know that life can be hard, but this too shall pass.