Sundays to me represent the start of the week, I’ve made it sober through another weekend (hell yes) , I am meal planning and I start my day with meditation and yoga, and a cappucino. Sunday is my luxury day and all about me.
BUT……since I’ve become sober I am also usually beyond angry on Sunday morning, my husband is an active drinker he’s been up 2 or 3 times in the night to pee and woken up the house, last weekend he was obnoxiously loud drunk falling down asshole and I slept in the guest room (of course he promised to change – he hasn’t) When I was drinking that’s when the nasty arguing would ensue. I am glad he is out of the house working most Sundays it allows me to process my anger and sit with it and work through it. As most Sundays I cannot stand him. I know I’m not the only one who deals with this. It’s hard to admit that you can’t stand your spouse sometimes. Marriage is tough.
Here’s how I deal with my over drinking spouse.
- Remove yourself from the situation, do not risk your sobriety ever
- Have a hobby so while he’s drinking, you are busy, I was scrapbooking last night
- Acknowledge your feelings it’s ok to be angry, sad, resentful as long as you don’t hang on to it.
- Talk to someone (I never believe feelings should be bottled up)
- Be grateful it’s not you drinking
- Know you can’t change anyone else
- Go for a run, go to a park, yell scream get it out.
- Talk to him about getting help because you love him, but never the night after drinking
- Lead by example
- Remember you are not better than him, you are only ever one drink away
- Do what you love, do not let a drinkers hangover affect your day.
- Treat yourself (watch a movie you want to, paint your nails, go shopping, make your favourite meal)
- Do not overthink his drinking stop the hamster wheel, meditate.
This is literally what I do. I have just finished my yoga and meditation and am watching 27 dresses!