I spent over 2 weeks on holidays and we went to meet up with some friends who live in Panama Central America, I hadn’t seen them for 2 years. This was my first sober vacation and my god it was like I had a communicable disease. First was my very good girlfriend when I arrived at her house and didn’t have a glass of wine, she never spoke to me again while I was there. Her husband then told mine he couldn’t live with someone who didn’t drink (funny though I know they have had heated “discussions” on her at least one bottle of wine a night habit) Then there was the conversation from a friend (who doesn’t drink more than one glass of anything ever) and we were all out for dinner and she looks at me in front of a table of 12 of our friends that it sucks to be the sober one. My husband asked me the entire time we were in Panama to drink and told me I was more fun on vacation when I drank (he seems to have forgotten all the shit shows that incurred when we were drinking together). Were my feelings hurt in these situations HELL YES.
So what did I do:
- Walked away, yep we were all at a Tiki Bar one night and I left, I also just went to bed some nights and left them to drink.
- Drove people home after they were drinking.
- Cried, yes people can hurt your feelings, so I let my sadness be ok.
- Got up every morning and meditated and thanked the universe I had no Fucking hangover.
- After meditation, I would exercise every day and enjoyed working out, outside.
- Ordered expensive fancy non alcoholic drinks, (like the one in the pic below)
- Ate really well like the above picture lobster (unapologetically spending the money)
- Had dessert
- Realized these people in the end don’t matter it’s my life and that may sound cold but I’d rather be sober than a mess.